• SJI Crest
The present crest of St. Joseph’s Institution was introduced in 1950 to replace an older one (top right).
It was designed by Mr Richard Walker, the Art Supervisor of the Education Department. One of the underlying reasons for the change was that the symbols on the old crest were too difficult to identify.
The green field of the crest (Pantone 336C) is divided into four quadrants by a white cross, the symbol of the Christian faith. In the centre of the cross lies the logo of the Brothers, a five-pointed star, the Signum Fidei, the Sign of Faith. It has as its origin the Star of Bethlehem which led the Magi (wise men of the East) to the birth of Christ. In fact, Signum Fidei is the motto of the Brothers of the Christian Schools founded by St John Baptist de La Salle. It reminds all Josephians to centre their lives on faith and to reach always for the reachable star of their convictions and ideals.
In the top left quadrant are three interlocking circles, symbolising games and the sporting spirit of all Josephians.
In the top right quadrant is the lamp of knowledge on a book, which is a symbol for learning.
The Lion at the bottom left quadrant represents the courage and determination with which Josephians face the many challenges of life. It also reminds us that our school, the flagship of the Lasallian enterprise in Asia, was established in Singapura, the Lion City, in 1852.
At the bottom right quadrant of the crest is the monogram of the school - SJI.
The crown surmounting the crest symbolises victory - the victory of faith over the forces of evil. It also reminds us that St Joseph’s Institution was founded in the days when Singapore was still a British Colony. The Latin motto of the school, Ora et Labora (Pray and Work), is inscribed on the scroll at the bottom of the crest.
• School Songs
At SJI, staff and students bond through song on the first day of school. With songs, Josephians bring to life through music a history of togetherness in the school.
The School Rally is steeped in history. It was composed by O'Donnell Aboo in 1597, and the lyrics were written by Brother Marcian James Cullen (1869-1938). The St Joseph’s Call is an adaptation of Ireland’s Call (a song commissioned by the Irish Rugby Football Union for use at international Rugby Union fixtures). SJI also received permission from Mr Phil Couter, who gave his permission to use the song. In 2005, St Joseph's Call made it into the school diary as a tribute to the contributions of the Irish Brothers.
SJI's school songs include: