The Class Committee plays a very important role in the life of the School. It is one of the important avenues of student leadership in SJI and enables students to participate in the day-to-day running of the school.
The Class Committee enables more students to participate in the management of their class by:
- exercising the responsibility of maintaining good order in the class and school.
- organising and leading the class in the various class activities and school functions.
- co-operating with the Class and Subject Tutors to ensure that lessons run smoothly and maximum learning takes place.
How the Committee works
- Maintaining class discipline in the absence of a teacher by encouraging classmates to engage in silent study.
- Assisting prefects in maintaining order and silence at assemblies and when classes move from one place to another.
- Keeping track of latecomers and reporting to the Class Tutor all cases of indiscipline.
- Reminding the tutor who does not turn up for a lesson five minutes after the stipulated time at the beginning of a lesson.
- Overall-in-charge of the class.
- Ensuring that all the Class Committee Members carry out their duties properly.
- Informing the Head of Level if a tutor is absent and no relief has reported.
- Ensuring the overall good order and cleanliness of the classroom.
- Helping prefects in maintaining discipline outside the classroom whenever necessary.
- Representing the class at the meetings of class chairmen.
- Returning the class register to the office.
- Preparing the class duty roster (two students per day).
- Writing the names of absentees on the board by the end of contact time.
- Ensuring that there is a sufficient supply and proper use of chalk, whiteboard / marker pens or duster.
- To lead the class in prayer if there is no teacher present or if the teacher prefers a student to lead class prayers.
- Preferably there should be prayer at the beginning of the day (if there is no Assembly prayer), before and after recess and before test and examination.
- The prayer leader should preferably, but not necessarily, be a Catholic.
- Ensuring that the class is kept informed of all environmental matters.
- Ensuring 100% saving of used paper and plastic drink bottles in class and P.E. lessons.
- Ensuring the weekly transfer of collected paper and used bottles to the recycling corner at the canteen.
- Encouraging classmates during recess and after school to return all utensils to their proper bins and drink cans and plastic bottles to the recycling corner.
- Ensuring that the class is prepared and is participating in all inter-class competitions.
- Bringing the class down for P.E. and reporting to the P.E. tutor.
- Helping the P.E. tutor in organising the P.E. activity for the period.
- Ensuring that all equipment is returned immediately after the end of the P.E. period.
- Assisting the P.E. Dept during all intra-school Sports events.
- Reporting to the P.E. Office on all matters pertaining to P.E. and Sports & Games and to the SH (CCA) on all other CCA matters.
- Assisting the Class in the proper maintenance and use of the OHP and the OHP screen.
- Reporting promptly any damage to the Class Tutor and A.V. Technician.
- Taking charge of bulk Library loans.
- The AV Representative will undergo training conducted by the school A.V. Technician.
A Class Committee member may be given a CCA point for his service only if the Class Tutor acknowledges that he has performed his duties in a responsible manner. Election to the Class Committee should not be held more than once a semester.