SJI is a Catholic secondary school for boys founded in 1852 by the Brothers of the Christian Schools or the La Salle Brothers. It is the 3rd oldest secondary school in Singapore after Raffles Institution, which was founded in 1823 and St. Margaret's Secondary School, which was founded in 1842.
SJI currently offers a 4-year programme that prepares boys for the GCE 'O' level examinations. At SJI, we focus on nurturing our boys to learn how to learn and to learn how to live so that they can be empowered to grow into men of integrity and men for others. We operate based on the values of Faith as our foundation, Service as our way and Community as our support.
Hence, our academic and student development curricula focus on providing a balanced and holistic education with a strong emphasis on character formation and leadership development. We not only want our boys to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and dispositions that will prepare them well for post-secondary education and the future but also to be able to live a meaningful life driven by passion in the service for others.
SJI is one of the 5 approved schools that admits boys from the Gifted Education Programme who prefer the GCE 'O' Level track to the Integrated Programme (IP) track.
From 2013, we will be offering both an Integrated Programme (IP) track and an O-level track. For the IP track, SJI, as an IB World School, will be offering the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma instead of the GCE 'A' levels. SJI will be starting the IB Diploma programme for an intake of 80 students (boys and girls) in 2013.
Brief History of SJI's Establishment
SJI was the first missionary establishment of the Brothers of the Christian Schools in the Far East. The school owes its establishment to Reverend Father J.M. Beurel, who is a French priest, working in Singapore in the 1840s. On 22 July 1852, St. John's Institution, as SJI was called then, was started as a free school at Bras Basah Road, which depended on the support of the public. As the enrolment for the school had increased significantly, the corner-stone for the new school was laid on 19 March 1855. With the laying of the corner-stone, the name of the school was changed to St. Joseph's Institution.