Overseas Residential Programme
“Every man is the sum total of his reactions to experience. As your experiences differ and multiply, you become a different man and hence your perspective changes. This goes on and on. Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective.”
- Hunter S. Thompson
The Overseas Residential Programme (ORP) is a unique Sec 4 IP capstone programme that will bring together the various strands of physical, intellectual and socio-emotional learning. Students will reside for a sustained period of 2.5 weeks at the site to immerse themselves in the environment to understand the 'Self' and their relationship with the World and hope they will aspire to commit to the betterment of humankind as Men for Others.
ORP CURRICULUM OVERVIEW FRAMEWORK
ORP will provide an enriching learning experience beyond the formal curriculum for the students. It will provide opportunities beyond the borders of Singapore for students to synthesize academic knowledge and skill-sets acquired from their academic studies. As the overseas destinations are situated in Asia, students will have a strong grounding in Asia, thus enabling them to operate more effectively in the region in the future. Immersion activities held at ORP will help them understand the language and society of their host country, thus they will be able to serve the role as Global Citizens and become a bridge between Asia and the rest of the world.
The curriculum aims to provide learning opportunities to strengthen the elements of global citizenships. Together with the foundation built by the academic, RMSE and WAM programmes, the ORP curriculum sets the student to develop his SELF through three main domains: Intellectual, Socio-Emotional and Physical in a unique overseas experience beyond Singapore borders to eventually become useful 21st century citizens of the world.
Goals of the Programme
The Overseas Residential Programme aims for holistic development of the student:
• Physical development: participants will undergo an intensive programme of physical education and outdoors adventure activities, involving daily physical exercises and outdoors adventure skills training, and weekend outdoors adventure activities such as trekking, rock climbing, and white-water rafting.
• Intellectual development: participants will have the opportunity to go into a foreign place and spend time observing and allowing their minds to freely wonder to any question they may have about the space – the history, culture, people, natural phenomena etc. Through the 5E model of scientific study, participants will seek to answer a chosen question through the disciplinary lens they choose. In sum, the overseas programme will allow academic learning to be integrated with the environment they are in to create highly applicable learning opportunities.
•Social-Emotional: participants will experience communal living, and be responsible for the community through an authentic service learning programme. Participants will also undergo training in personal and social education, with a strong focus on nurturing emotional intelligence and leadership, as well as a cultural immersion and service programme in which they will come to understand the local community they are living in, and serve the people of the local community.
• Rooted Global Citizenship: participants will have the chance to interact with and immerse themselves in a foreign culture. Through their experiences, they will be adaptable to different cultures, which will steep them in a global outlook yet firmly anchored to Singapore in their cosmopolitan perspective.
ORP – Shangri-la
SJI piloted the Overseas Residential Programme in Shangri-La, Yunnan, China over the period of 10 to 29 September 2015. A total of 48 students from Secondary 4 IP participated in the programme.
Students had the opportunity to acquire new knowledge, skills and experience beyond the traditional classroom settings. They partook in activities designed to achieve the goals of the programme, mainly:
- Physical Development: 5 days outdoor trek through Yading or Yubeng Nature Reserve
- Intellectual Development: Geographical Investigation at Bashuitai and Cultural Immersion Programme at Dukezong
- Socio-Emotional Development: Homestay at Napa Village and Service Work at Heritage Foundation
For more information about ORP-Shangri-La, please visit the students’ website at https://sites.google.com/a/sji.edu.sg/orp2015/home